Die XX INTERNATIONAL ROCK ART CONFERENCE IFRAO 2018 wird vom 29. August bis 02. September 2018 in Valcamonica, Darfo Boario Terme (Italien) stattfinden. Für die Session „Pastoral Graffiti. Old World case studies in interpretative ethnoarchaeology“ können bis zum 30. November 2017 Proposals für Vorträge auf Englisch von max. 200 Wörtern Länge eingereicht werden.
Call for Papers der Organisatoren:
In a number of significant sites of the vast ancient pasturelands of the Old World, generations of wandering shepherds have left their testimony in the form of graffiti drafted on the rocks, sometimes in their tens of thousands, over a period of hundreds of years from ancient to modern times. The phenomenon is a conspicuous one, and has considerable significance, under a double perspective. On the one hand, the study of such pastoral graffitis may convey fresh ethnoarchaological information as to the circumstances of the pastoral activities and the pastoral economy of the past. On the other hand, these signs, which can be often fully alphabetic as well as drawing upon ancient symbolic repertoires, can be of some aid to the interpretation of rock art as a whole genre of human expression, and projected back, in their significance and their modes of a appearance, the the earliest times of prehistory. Starting from ground breaking research on the sheperds› writings of the valley of Fiemme (Trentino, Italy cf. www.scrittedeipastori.it ) the session will aim at bringing together evidence from similar cases in other eurasian settings, so as to further the specialists’ acquaintance with this still largely unplundered terrain, in the general sceintific perspective of the interpretation of rock art.
Proposals should include:
– Title, author, affiliation, session of specific interest;
– English abstract (max. 200 words + 5-6 keywords)
– Two pictures (.jpeg or .tiff; min. resolution 300 dpi)
and should be sent to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 30th November 2017
Organisatoren der Session:
- Giovanni Kezich, Museo degli Usi e Costumi della Gente Trentina, San Michele all’Adige, Trento, Italy
- Marta Bazzanella, Museo degli Usi e Costumi della Gente Trentina, San Michele all’Adige, Trento, Italy
- Silvia Sandrone, Musée des Merveilles, Tende, France
- Adriana Gandolfi, Museo delle Genti d’Abruzzo, Pescara, Italy